Chouteau County Sheriff's Office
Full-Time Deputy Sheriff
Chouteau County Sheriff's Office is CURRENTLY accepting applications for the full-time position of Deputy Sheriff. Starting salary is $35,700.00. Deputy Sheriffs are uniformed sworn officers who enforce the law in the county. Deputies must have an active interest in working with people and be able to be fair with all persons regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religious belief, political affiliation, or economic level. Deputies provide services from several locations throughout Chouteau County and perform a variety of duties. The Deputy Sheriff will patrol the county and highways, investigate crimes, and arrest suspected criminals where necessary. You will assist citizens and properties in danger, and prepare and keep records. You will collaborate with municipal, state, and federal officers. To be successful in this role, you need to read situations swiftly and make judicious on-the-spot decisions. Ideal candidates will treat the public firmly but courteously, be undeterred by physical threats, and have the ability to understand and follow complex directions.
Deputy Sheriff Responsibilities:
- Patrolling highways and Chouteau County with radio-equipped county vehicles.
- Operating radio, telephone, and other communications devices to respond to complaints and other calls.
- Assisting citizens or properties under threat.
- Assisting at accident scenes and guarding disaster areas.
- Detecting, investigating, and deterring criminal activities.
- Apprehending criminal and traffic law offenders.
- Transporting and escorting detainees to and from the court, and involuntary psychiatric commitments to healthcare facilities.
- Maintaining courtroom peace and security.
- Serving court documents and attaching property.
- Reporting to higher-ranking officers to report on assignments, and to ask for assistance and advice.
Deputy Sheriff Requirements:
- High school diploma, GED, or appropriate equivalent.
- Valid driver's license, equivalent to a non-commercial Class C, at the time of appointment.
- Completion of an entry-level police training program during the first year of employment.
- Completion of a background investigation, and fingerprint examination to establish whether the candidate is of good moral character.
- Available to work with little or no notice.
- Available to work shifts, over weekends, on public holidays, and during inclement weather.
- Familiar with the geography of the county.
- Live in Chouteau County.
- Proficient in using and maintaining a firearm.
- Applications are available online for download at https://www.chouteaucosomt.com/employment.html or at the Law Enforcement Facility located at 1215 Washington, Fort Benton, MT 59442
- For additional information, contact the Chouteau County Sheriff's Office at (406) 622-5451.